Many people fall into abusive relationships and never realize just how bad things are. They always give the other person another chance and keep trying to change for them, not realizing that there's truly nothing wrong with who they are. Brittaney is one of those people, and she was in a relationship with someone who pointed out every little flaw that she had. She allowed him to control her hairstyle, makeup, and even her weight. Among all these things, she also endured the verbal abuse in relation to her physical appearance, being called ugly or being told that her style was "tacky." Despite all of these things, Brittaney stayed with her partner because she couldn't find the strength to leave him.

This went on until Brittaney had absolutely no confidence left, and then she was left for someone who her partner deemed "prettier," which she blamed herself for. Like so many other people, this could have led to self-harm and self-hate, but Brittaney overcame it and did something amazing. She then posted her story to Facebook and shared it with the world. Here is Brittaney's story.

"You always told me I didn't look good with long hair...

"...and that you preferred girls with short hair. So I kept my hair cut above my shoulders at all times. You laughed at me and told me I looked ridiculous when I dyed my hair red when we were together. So a week later I dyed it back blonde."
"You always told me I didn't look good with long hair...
via Instagram / @youngcrazycatlady
ADVERTISEMENT

"You would always point out if I was wearing too much makeup."

"(Winged eyeliner and mascara most of the time). So I just stopped wearing it. You told me tattoos and piercings were tacky and ugly. And would try to take out my belly button ring every time you saw it. So I took out my piercings and didn't get any more tattoos. You pointed out my stretch marks every chance you got. So I did my best to keep them hidden. "
"You would always point out if I was wearing too much makeup."
via Instagram / @youngcrazycatlady
via Instagram / @youngcrazycatlady